One Song

Life is grand. When I think I have things figured out, everything changes. This is the story of the last few days. A new job and a new car are the changes of the past two days.

Turns out I got the supplemental instructor position. I found out when I got the reminder email yesterday for training—which was the first inkling I had that I was hired, after concluding that I must not have made the cut. An email to the department head confirmed that I had the job; now I have lesson planning and session scheduling to do yet before Monday morning. Since I will be the first leader for a new course, all materials will need to be developed from nothing but my notes from when I took the class a year ago. This is all new stuff to me, and my contingency-planning sector is shifting into disaster management mode. Training was all day today. I have a fun team to work with and the department heads seem approachable and intelligent. It promises to be a good semester.

The car was, and still is, in Tucson, Arizona. I found it listed online, and have been in contact with the dealership, who assured me the car was in perfect condition with no flaws whatsoever. Since I was driving five hours to look at a car, they would have the car clean and waiting for my arrival. It sounded a bit too good to be true, but I wanted to believe it. Well, when we got to the dealership, the car was buried deep in a lot of tightly-parked cars. It was dusty and the battery was dead. They charged the battery and I took it for a test drive. One of the doors was dead electric-wise—no power locks or windows. The window control switch looked like it had been smashed by a hammer. There were warning lights lit on the dash and the radio/navigation unit was inoperable. The tint on the windows was ripply; the side windows were unopenable and nearly impossible to look through. In short I was very unhappy and spoke rather harshly to the salesman who repeatedly tried to hug me in an attempt to close the deal—at which he was abruptly pushed away while negotiations continued. I made him a lowball offer, figuring $3,000 should get the windows retinted and the window switch replaced. No go, so we said our goodbyes and left. We made it to the far end of the lot before we were stopped by the salesman who had somehow “miscalculated overhead,” and in my favor, too (!). He offered to fix my laundry list of repairs for $250 over my offer and have the car clean and road-ready by Friday. Everything is in writing, and it looks like I might have a different car by next weekend. Two people are competing for the Subaru…so it should be a fast sell in a hippy town like Flagstaff.

The trip to Phoenix was not entirely a wash. I dropped off a friend at the airport on the way down, and picked up three more on the way back. They paid me half of shuttle cost—which more than paid my expenses for the day. We had dinner at Applebee’s and got back to Flagstaff at 2am, a few hours before training began. Which probably explains why I am beginning to nod off at the keyboard. G’night all…